Im going to go off in a tangent here and post something about feelings. Yea those, who knew that I had those. Most people didn't an neither did I, but here recently I've been overcome with something and I can only describe it as feelings.
Here lately, I have had the feeling of being an accomplished person. It comes so late because I had taken the wrong path earlier and have now righted my way. When I say accomplished I mean doing well in school. I say that because the past two semesters I screwed around, didn’t study near as much as I needed, and failed my courses; all in the name of having a good time. Now I sit here in my dorm on the Texas A&M campus (Whoop!) and I now realize that I have fulfilled the feeling that was once falsified.
Most people would see going to summer school as a punishment or whatnot, when they could be doing stuff with friends or at least being lazy. For me, it is familiar territory. Before Texas A&M, I kept to myself and didn’t really associate with other people. So to spend the time I studied, made As in all my courses, and played games all the time. It was a lifestyle I was accustomed to. When I showed up at A&M doors opened that were never there and new paths (both good and bad) came to light.
When I showed up the first semester I actually went to my classes, but I didn’t study. It hit and I didn’t pass all my classes, but grade exclusions saved me. The second semester I didn’t even go to my classes and somehow I passed some a few of my classes and yet again grade exclusions saved me. I thought I was on top of the world because I was having a good time. Boy was I fooled.
I think reality struck when I almost lost my financial aid to low grades coupled with the fact that I was nowhere near having been completed 75% of my courses. I did that little dance they make all the kids do and the whole time I was actually worried about whether or not I would be able to come back. Well I was lucky and dodged a bullet because they granted me my financial aid next semester.
What does all this have to do with me being accomplished? Well, it showed me that having fun all the time gets you nowhere fast and the feeling it gives you only goes so far. A lot of people say college will be a fun time, I agree I will have a lot of fun sitting here, doing my homework, and passing all my classes (some with flying colors and some not so well). Of course, I can’t say I am never going to go out, I most certainly will, but it will only be with those friends I have. I don’t plan on getting drunk Thursday-Sunday night on Northgate like a lot of people, nor do I plan on spending the entire night at the pool hall (at least not anymore), but I will go out and have dinner with friends, maybe play a few games of pool, and just have a couple hours of fun and not an entire night/weekend. There are also those exceptions and those people are the ones that I would spend an entire weekend and then some with (yea call me a hypocrite if you want), but I think we all have the same goals and won’t go too overboard.
Now that I am passing my summer class and am on the right track the real feeling of accomplishment subsides. I am truly where I belong. I am home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment